I suggest you ...

Allow collateral files upload

What you're doing is FANTASTIC, and NEEDED in the hacker community, and quite simply, YOU GUYS ROCK!

However, a schematic alone does not a working project make. Source code, notes, PCB layout, etc. are all important. I realize you're not (yet, anyway) trying to be all things to all people, but at the least I think that source code and a detailed description should be part of uploads. While I think your technology is GREAT, even the few circuits uploaded so far are minimally useful without the collateral information.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthew Mucker shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminBen (Founder, CircuitBee) responded  · 

This will greatly increase our hosting costs, but we can certainly see the utility for users.

We would like to implement this, but since this is all out of our own pocket at the moment we are hesitating.

Please could you let us know roughly how large the files you would like to attach are, so we can make more informed educated guesses about possible costs.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminBen (Founder, CircuitBee) commented  · 

Thanks for the feedback Matthew.

I think you are right in that attachments to a project are definitely essential. We are still in the stage where we're testing out what users want the site to be, but it appears that generally the feeling is that the site should become a project repository. Allowing users to put up all the files related to a project, in which case attachments as you say are essential.

However, since they are costly to us (we pay for 'requests' to download, and for storage space, and data transferred), we're considering a possible paid-for approach. We are thinking about allowing one free upload of up to 100kb say, this would allow for a zip file containing all the source to be uploaded and other useful files like board layouts. Anyone wanting to attach more than one file, or larger than 100kb attachments would require a paid for account.

This would let us manage the costs of the free accounts since a single file of 100kb would not add drastically to our costs, while allowing people to pay to allow more.

What do you think? Obviously we'd have to figure out a suitable pricing scheme, and where the right limits are, but 100kb feels right.

• Matthew Mucker commented  · 

Wow, that's a tall order. I think each of your users is going to have different requirements. Given the position you're in, it's probably best for you to concentrate on your core business for the time being.

However, I do think that the ability to host source code, at the least, would greatly improve the usefulness of CircuitBee. Source code, as text, is highly compressible and I'd hazard a guess that most of the projects posted by your users will tend toward smaller microcontroller/Arduino projects that have limited code space. Perhaps you could start out with filesize limits (50k? 100k?) and gather metrics on what your users upload (or try to upload) as a basis for futher tuning of the feature.

• AdminBen (Founder, CircuitBee) commented  · 

Hi guys,

We weren't sure how people wanted to use the service up until now, but from everyones comments and feedback it seems people really want a project repository for their work. If thats the case then I think we'd quite like to do as you say Mike and allow zip uploads.

We're really feeling things out right now, so all this feedback is so useful for us. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Mike Simons commented  · 

This is an excellent idea. Perhaps make it easier by allowing to upload an archive (zip or such) and using a standard file name for project description (like github.com does for README)

Feedback and Knowledge Base