General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. oEmbed Endpoint

An oEmbed endpoint would be nice (http://www.oembed.com/). It could also save some people the trouble of scraping the page for OpenGraph metadata, saving everyone some bandwidth.

Aside: I really enjoy this service and hope more people take to using it. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Add a Parts list

Add a table, maybe to the right of the circuit with the part numbers and quantity. Hovering might give you a more detailed description of the part. You might use an icon for a link to a free or paid ad, for where you could purchase the part or a kit. Some people might promote their circuit by offering a one stop shop for the parts, which might include a circuit board. You might make money by letting the big boys like Digikey, Mouser, jameco, Newark, Allied... buy ad space for the parts they carry.

15 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Boley,

Parts lists are definitely a good idea, if/when we implement board support it will be even more useful still.

Partnerships with parts suppliers is a direction we may head in if people think its useful

Thanks for the input!

• Allow collateral files upload

What you're doing is FANTASTIC, and NEEDED in the hacker community, and quite simply, YOU GUYS ROCK!

However, a schematic alone does not a working project make. Source code, notes, PCB layout, etc. are all important. I realize you're not (yet, anyway) trying to be all things to all people, but at the least I think that source code and a detailed description should be part of uploads. While I think your technology is GREAT, even the few circuits uploaded so far are minimally useful without the collateral information.

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

This will greatly increase our hosting costs, but we can certainly see the utility for users.

We would like to implement this, but since this is all out of our own pocket at the moment we are hesitating.

Please could you let us know roughly how large the files you would like to attach are, so we can make more informed educated guesses about possible costs.

• 11 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Admin →

We had wondered if the community we were targetting with this project were OpenID users or not. I guess this answers our question, when we get a chance we will have to implement this.

If you think this is a big deal for you please vote so we know how important this feature is to you.

• API

An API so that you can upload straight from a designer.

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
            • Offer membership to raise money!

GitHub and similar sites make money by requiring people to host public projects if they're using the free service. So there's one option for fund-raising right away.

TypeKit is a subscription-based service that provides web fonts to subscribers. I wonder if you could make CircuitBee work the same way? i.e.: service is free if you just point people to the circuit here on the site (or embed a PNG/PDF), the full embedded browser would require an active subscription.

Alternately, stick up a PayPal donation link and see if you can gather enough donations in a year to buy a coffee…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Admin →

Hi Alex,

You are absolutely right, as soon as we’re leaving the alpha stage we will have to find some ways of monetizing the site.

A small fee for enabling public embeds of circuits might be good, but it really depends on the users and whether or not we’re providing enough value.

We have been planning some advanced features which perhaps would fall under a ‘pro’ account. We’ll have to see how this goes in the days ahead.

• 1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

We are considering a new interface for the symbol libraries list.

We need to determine if users are actually reusing the existing libraries, or just always uploading a library specific to each schematic. If the latter then the current interface is unnecessary. But if the former, then we probably need to find a better layout for the libraries.

Alphabetical listing is definitely a possibility.

• Net highlighting

I think it would be a nice feature to highlight a net/wire when you hover it with your cursor. It would be easier to see where a net/wire starts and where it ends.

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Excellent suggestion, we should review this and see how best to implement this, mouse over might get a bit annoying, perhaps a delayed mouse-over event might be best?

So if you leave the mouse over the net/wire for more than a second or two then it highlights?

• Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base